Revision 2.0 (Home Version)
Cirqus Voltaire fans, I'm pleased to bring to you the new Cirqus Voltaire Revision
2.0 Game ROM released for the home market. This new updated ROM revision features many new
fixes to some of the troublesome glitches that were noticed in version 1.4 as well as some
new previously unreleased surprises!
This is version 2.0H of Cirqus Voltaire. This
Home ROM is NOT an official Williams release, and as such is not supported by that
Version 2.0H of Cirqus Voltaire is an 8 megabit ROM (27C080 or equivalent),
which is free only (will not accept coins).
The checksum is: $B120
Voltaire Version 2.0H
Changes since 1.4:
- The ramp lockup test was NOT clearing the switch status flags
when it started up, this has been fixed.
- If the ramp magnet switch could not start the multiball start
LAMP effect, but the display effect was running, it would re-run the display effect once
the ball reached the lockup. This has been
- Starting final mode now cancels the multiple jackpot.
- Shots are ignored just after starting a new final mode phase.
- Added additional tilt check in ramp lockup code.
- Added adjustment to install manual eddy boards.
- Ringmaster is no longer down during sideshow, but IS down
during video modes.
- Added adjustment to allow all abort-friendly display effects
to be aborted right from the start of the game.
- Possible to abort most display effects.
- Added adjustment to make Acrobats only spot from made switch
on the ramp (instead of enter).
- Added adjustment to enable the 'old' skill shot. Simple skill
shot runs in tournament mode.
- Added adjustment to enable timed Ringmaster mode.
- Added adjustment to skip first Ringmaster defeat.
- Added adjustment to stop Ringmaster magnet catching the ball
- Added Copy-Cat video mode!
- Side-Show lamp effect now masks inlane lamps.
- Neon multiball has a significantly reduced chance of running
until one of the regular multiballs has been played.
- Side show will try not to give out two video type modes in a
- Added juggler sneaky lock on left loop!
- Boom Balloon will attempt to lower itself if it registers hits
while it should be down, and the ball is hitting other jets.
- All multiballs can be restarted when quickly starting another
multiball. (On an adjustment which defaults OFF).
- Updated Cirqus Member time-stamp to reference from 2001, and
system clock starts at 2002.
- Created some presets for new adjustments.
- Added 'Early' to game over kickout adjustment - It kicks
during match/hstd processing.
- Added adjustments to stop physical HighWire and Juggler locks.
- New juggler lock and start lamp effects.
- Diverter will switch position when balls in play decreases to
1 to free jams. (Adjustment sets frequency, or disables)
- Added quick jackpot, lit from side-show!
- Removed pinball hotline and web/email info from attract mode.
- Tweaked the speech for skill shot, Ringmaster and
- Hat-Trick and Ringmaster modes now work correctly together.
- Test Report messages regarding disabled hardware will only
show up in Test mode .. Stopping DOT on home games.
- BackBox Luck switch will not be marked bad if the backbox is
disabled. (However it will still show up in the test report if it is bad.)
- 'Load Cannon' award on the outlanes has been modified to give
- Game restart is now correctly handled during Side Show.
- Added delay to Boom Balloon timer so background display effect
shows starting time.
- Added feature adjustment to disable timed spot-marvel (off the
- Added 'Clear Hardware Errors' utility.
- Spot Marvel disabled while no marvels can be spotted.
- Timed spot marvels (off the inlane) are not lit at all if no
remaining marvels can be spotted.
- Added music and speech when Join The Cirqus is ready!
- Added new Join The Cirqus phase 'Acrobats Spin': Player must
score 100 spins to win. Target spins set by new Feature Adjustment!
- Added second Join The Cirqus phase: Player must score 3
million points (from roving hurry-ups) to win. Final score set by new Feature Adjustments!
- New Cirqus phases played second time player reaches Join.
Added new adjustment to set this.
- Add ball/score to background display effect of phase 2 of Join
- Join The Cirqus intro display effects can be aborted at
ball-start and the second (or more) time through.
- Skill Shot lit at ball start, during Join The Cirqus to
advance the mode. Ball is held during intro effects (which can be aborted).
- Timer adjustments for Kangaroo Video mode and Cannon Fire Mode
can be set to 'OFF' to disable these modes.
- If all marvels except the Acrobats Marvel have been awarded,
but the Acrobats mode is active, then that marvel will be spotted.
- Added pause feature to the coin-door. Opening the door
disables the flippers, stops mode timers, and starts a ball saver (2 seconds for each ball
in play). Balls are re-launched once the door is closed!
- Fixed some small glitches in the ball lock and multiball start
- Removed 'Player One' speech during single player games. Ball
serve speech only plays 5 times.
- Modified Backbox disabled adjustment so that the time between
kicks can also be set. Changed adjustment text to "BBOX. KICK DELAY".
- Added more compensation logic to Highwire ramp: lock (or
multiball) will be awarded if no scoring occurs 5 seconds after the ramp magnet releases
the ball. This is so the player receives the correct lock/multiball sequence even if a
lockup switch is failing.
- Improved Ringmaster Battle logic.
- Diverter remains unenergized for several seconds after the
wire-ramp enter switch.
- Added feature adjustment 'QUICK ARC MBALL.'. When set YES, the
ball will NOT be stopped on the ramp magnet when Strike An Arc Multiball is started along
with a Highwire Multiball lock (or start).
Description of Feature Adjustments.
Since there are several new adjustments (and slight
re-ordering of some of
the existing ones), they will all be explained below.
This sets the number of times the ball will be saved.
This can set a delay before the game will automatically plunge the ball into play.
BALL SAVE TIME
This sets the time (in seconds) for the ball save timer. This time is only used to save
the number of balls set in the 'BALL SAVES' adjustment.
MBALL. BALL SAVER
This sets the time (in seconds) that the ball saver runs at the start of Highwire
R.MSTR. BALL SAVE
This sets the time (in seconds) that the ball saver runs at the start of the Ringmaster
multiballs (Frenzy, Razz and Special).
ARC MBALL. SAVE
This sets the time (in seconds) that the ball saver runs at the start of Strike An Arc
JUGLE. MBALL. SAVE
This sets the time (in seconds) that the ball saver runs at the start of Juggler
NEON M.B SAVER
This sets the time (in seconds) that the ball saver runs at the start of Neon multiball.
This sets the number of Ringmasters which must be defeated to light ExtraBall.
"BOOM" FOR E.B
This sets the number of Boom Balloon hits to light Extra Ball.
COPY CAT E/B
This sets the number of correct sequences needed in the Copy Cat video mode to light Extra
ALL M/B RESTART
This will allow any multiball to restart if another multiball is started shortly after the
first one ends. (Presently this only works when starting a Ringmaster multiball ...).
Setting this to YES can allow all multiballs to run at the same time.
This sets the number of ramp shots needed to start Strike An Arc multiball
at the start of the game.
This allows the RING number to be carried from ball to ball.
SIDE SHOW LIT
This sets whether or not the Side Show is lit at the start of the game.
SUPER JETS TIME
This sets the time (in seconds) for which super jets (Boom Balloon) runs.
This sets the time (in seconds) for which Popcorn Mania runs.
This sets the time (in seconds) for which the Amazing Roonie video mode runs. Set this to
'off' to disable the mode.
CANNON MODE TIME
This sets the time (in seconds) for which the Cannon Fire video mode runs. Set this to
'off' to disable the mode.
This sets the time (in seconds) for which the Ringmaster Hat Trick mode runs.
R/M HIT MODE TMR
This sets the time (in seconds) for which Ringmaster mode runs, or 'OFF' to disable the
timer. When timed, the player only has a number of seconds to defeat the Ringmaster; or
shooting 'SPIN' increases the time. The mode ends when the time expires, and the player
must spell WOW again to restart the mode. This timer is paused during any multiball.
M/B STACK LOCKS
This adjustment sets the number of multiballs for which locks can be stacked.
Stacking locks means that 'lock 2' can be lit before ball one is locked.
FIRST R/M DEFEAT
This adjustment disables the first Ringmaster defeat (meaning that Frenzie will be awarded
the first time the Ringmaster is defeated).
MAGNET BALL SAVE
This adjustment causes a short ball saver to become active when the Ringmaster magnet
plays with the ball.
MAGNET CATCH WOW
Set this adjustment to 'NO' to stop the Ringmaster magnet from catching the ball once WOW
When set to 'HARD', the player will need to shoot the ball all the way up the Acrobats
ramp to be awarded the shot. When set to 'NORMAL', the shot is
awarded by the enter switch.
SIMPLE SKL. SHOT
Set this adjustment to 'NO' to activate the complex skill shot. When activated, the player
can choose one award out of five to collect if the skill shot is made.
LOW RM. BATLE. SCR.
This adjustment lowers the scoring during the Ringmaster Battle mode. (Low
scoring is active during tournament mode.)
INLANE SPT. MRVL.
Set this adjustment to 'NO' to stop Spot Marvel from being lit by the right inlane.
QUICK ARC MBALL.
Set to 'YES', the ramp magnet will no longer grab the ball if lock is lit (or Highwire
Multiball is starting) at the same time as Strike An Arc multiball starts.
FINAL MODE STEPS
This adjustment controls the additional Join The Cirqus modes:
- Normal: New modes are played the second time the player spells CIRQUS.
- Reversed: The new modes are played the first time the player spells CIRQUS.
- Random: There is a 50% chance that the new modes will be played the first time the
player spells CIRQUS.
FNL. STEP 5 SPINS
This adjustment sets the number of spins needed to complete phase 5 of
Join The Cirqus.
FNL. STEP 6 GOAL
This adjustment sets the number of points the player needs to score in order to complete
phase 6 of Join The Cirqus.
FLPRS. ABORT ANIM.
This adjustment sets how the flippers abort long animations.
ABORT ALL ANIM.
Set this adjustment to 'YES' to allow all animations to be aborted, even the first time
they are seen. NOTE: New players are significantly more likely to be confused when playing
the game, if all the animations are skipped!
This allows players to play the game in tournament mode by holding both flippers in
This adjustment sets the delay (in minutes) between music, in attract mode.
This adjustment sets the delay (in minutes) between sounds/speech, in attract mode.
A.MODE FLPR. SNDS.
This adjustment causes the flipper buttons to make sounds when pressed in
NEON OFF TIME
This adjustment sets the 'off time' (or 'run time') for the neon tube in
NEON ON TIME
This adjustment sets the 'on time' for the neon tube in attract mode. The tube will be
turned on during attract mode so that it can better maintain a rich colour.
PHYS. H/W LOCKS
PHYS. JUG. LOCKS
These adjustments can stop the physical locks from holding balls during a
game. These do NOT disable the devices! The ball will still be diverted
into the device, but it will not be held.
This adjustment controls how locked balls are kicked out at the end of
- Delay: After 1 minute.
- Never: Balls are not kicked out.
- Instant: Balls are kicked at the start of attract mode.
- Early: Balls are kicked after the final bonus count.
AUTO EDDY BOARDS
Manual eddy sensor driver boards can be used installed if this adjustment is set to 'NO'.
DIVRTR. M/B CHECK
This controls how the diverter tries to free stuck balls.
- Never: Diverter never tries to free stuck balls.
- Normal: Diverter tires to free stuck balls when the ball count decreases
to one ball in play.
- Paranoid: Diverter tries to free stuck balls whenever the ball count decreases.
BBOX. KICK DELAY
This sets the delay for the back-box kicker. Set to 'OFF' to disable the backbox.
This can disable the Ringmaster device.
This can disable the diverter device.
This sets the volume of the 'knocker' sound effect.
The following are additional pre-sets.
FLPRS. ABORT ANIM.: Instant
ABORT ALL ANIM.: Yes
MAGNET CATCH WOW: No
QUICK ARC MBALL.: Yes
GAMEOVER KICKOUT: Early
R/M HIT MODE TMR: 20
MAGNET CATCH WOW: No
SIMPLE SKL. SHOT: No
I've gotten several questions and concerns regarding the upgrade
kit available for Cirqus Voltaire. Now I'm a purist, and am against modifying my game if
it works properly, and I'm seriously against drilling any holes into my playfield that
weren't there to begin with. Some of my fixes regarding the upgrade kit. You might want to
try these before installing the upgrade kit:
- Ramp Lockup: One of the major problems with the game, the lock
releasing balls correctly. Before inserting the spacer for the ramp, try these first.
Installing the spacer can add too much slope to the ramp, making it release two balls
instead of one.
- Game Level: Make sure your game is leveled properly! Most of
my friends like putting the game at a lesser slope than the 6.5 degrees- and if you're
like them, this can cause a problem. Also, make sure it's leveled left-right.
- First ball movement: Put three balls into the lock. Move the first
ball vertically. You should have very little vertical play. If a ball has too much
vertical play, it will ride up the post, and off the switch. This can cause problems.
- Ramp Level: If you really don't want to get an upgrade kit, and the
ramp lockup is still giving you problems, bend the center of the ramp, between the first
support and the magnet. Either up or down, depending on your ramp's performance.
- Switches: Even if you have the spacer installed, you may have a
problem with the switch leafs. When the post pops back up, it will push the ball still on
the ramp back up some. If the switch leaf is bouncing or up too high, it will catch on the
ball. Try replacing the leafs with the roller-type used in older Data East game Ball
Trough. These small rollers work great.
- Display Plastic Cut: This one is easy. Every time you lower your
playfield, just make sure the plastic does not get caught on the magnet-playfield. No
cutting is necessary.
- The rest fixes, mostly ball hang-ups, are up to you whether or not
you want to install them. I haven't in my game, and have very little problems. (For a home